Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Letters

Cedar Falls Iowa     Jan the 18 1887

Dear Brother & Sister (Jane & Rheuben Helm)I take the pleasure to answer you kind and most welcome letter and was glad to hear from you.  We are well hoping you are the same.  Our weather here has been as cold as 8 below zero wind blow like evering thing the snow here is a bout a foot and a half deep.  We are living a lone.  We live where barney did last winter.  Abner told me to write and tell you that he sold our land to William and William wants you to send him a deed of the last eighty or the west eighty.  If you hint got the money, William will send you money enough to make out the deed, and we will send you a deed of the other eighty.

 

Jim Mapes (a relative – don’t know how) is dead, he was buried Saturday they was nothing a matter with him, him and Jim went and got some hay and when they got al-most hime the load tip over but I guess it dident hurt him and when they got loaded up he was on the load and fell over dead.  Jane you dident say eny thing about your boy (Ora).  I expect it was a nice one and that is the reason you dident want to say eny thing a bout it.  Well Jane I hope you and Rheuben will do well I would like to see all of you.  This is all for this time so good by write soon from Nettie & Abner (Helm)

 

Remember me when this you see

Remember me when far from thee

And when my grave shall come my bed

Remember me when I am dead

 

Palmer Neb.  10 March 1889

Dear Aunt & Uncle I received your letter a few days ago it found us all uiet well to day is Sunday Clara is not very well she is to bed now our Nellie mare is a bout to die she is awful sick they cant tell what ails her it will be a big loss t us Barney & family has been with us all winter they have all been uite well this winter so far it is very sickly here this spring we had a letter from mate she said lizzie had not laughted aloud for seven months she has spit blood for several months I think if she lives until fall that will be as long as she can live mate says it is sickly there Cash Jones girl (Etta ?) is at jane shaffers she has been sick this winter mrs Ferguson is dead she has been dead three years then he told Etta sho she was and then Etta wanted to see them all she is smart judging from her letters I guess the boys will send for her to go to them they are in arkansas I think she looks like levi they say grand mother stays to Janes yet we got a letter from Wal (Wallace Jones) he is in Cheyene so he likes the country awfu lwell lon and abner is in Idaho they are awful home sick they are coming back in the spring abner wrote to his father to rent the place his father told him to go where Wal is Harlows folks are all well Maria is fat again Josephine lost one this fall liked to ended her she came over and stayed two nights with us we have some one all the time Harlow (Jones?) haint been over but once this winter Janian come back tn October and has been with us ever since he was very sick this winter then the horses run away with him and like to broke his leg we have 10 in family this winter Angelina  you ought to see ora now hw is nearly as large as Emmett and saucy as can be arlie is a big girl now I was please with my______it is awful pretty I think I am much obliged to you well I cant think of any more now so good by my love to you both write soon

From Jane to Angeline Adams

 

No comments: